Wednesday, November 15, 2017

WEEK 3 - Tres Leches Cake

This is the third week of my Major Project and I made a Tres Leches Cake. This cake is very popular all over the world, especially in Latin-America countries, but it has also become famous in the U.S. in the past years. 

The recipe I chose to make is from a Peruvian webpage called Peru Telegraph. The author explains that Tres Leches Cake is not originally from Peru but it is so famous in all South America and Central America that Peruvian people have already made their own recipe by changing some ingredients and parts of the original process.

In the article "Tres Leches Cake History and Recipe" from What's Cooking America, the author describes this cake as follows,
"A dense, moist “three milks” cake topped with a cloud of vanilla whipped cream.  What makes it unusual is that after baked, it is perforated and soaked in a mixture of three different milk products: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk or heavy cream, hence the name Tres Leches".
I used sweetened condensed milk (A) evaporated milk (B),  and whole milk (D) for the milk syrup. I only used the heavy whipping cream (C) for the topping. In other countries they use heavy cream instead of the whole milk in the milk syrup mixture. 


Made with Thinglink
(Click here if you can't see the interactive version of my Thinglink project)

Here is the list of ingredients I needed for this week (I skipped the rum):

Cake:
  • 180 g all-purpose flour (1.5 cups)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 150 g white sugar (3/4 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 80 - 100 ml whole milk (a good 1/3 cup)

Milk Syrup:
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (397g / 14oz)
  • 300 ml evaporated milk (1 1/3 cups)
  • 300 ml whole milk (1 1/3 cups)
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons tablespoons of rum (Baileys tastes delicious as well)
Topping:
  • 250 ml whipping cream (1 good cup)
  • 50 g white sugar (1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • cinnamon

Made with Thinglink
(Click here if you can't see the interactive version of my Thinglink project)


This time I made a video to show you the steps for making a Tres Leches Cake. It was a long process and I made a few adjustments to the original recipe. I have never made a video before but Kizoa was really fun and easy to use. If you can't play the video, click here.


 Made with Kizoa

This cake turned out delicious! I am glad it did because it was a lot of work. 😁


My Tres Teches Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment

SUMMARY OF LEARNING

To show you a summary of my learning process, I created a Prezi presentation, which allowed me to show you different topics in an interact...