Sunday, October 8, 2017

Story Bird (Storytelling tool)


This week I chose Story Bird as a storytelling tool. Story Bird is a webpage which allows you to create stories and share them online. You only need to create a free account and then you can start designing picture books, longform stories and poetry. Story Bird provides you with artwork from different artists and you can use their cool pictures on your designs. It is very easy to publish a book and share the link with other people, but you need to pay to download the book.  Here are the steps shown in the webpage to create your own book:

Made with Canva

I designed a short picture book for kindergarten. The app was easy to use for being the first time I tried it. I chose a picture of a bunny to start with my story and the app showed me lots of other pictures to use in my book (from the same theme and a specific artist). Here are some examples of how to make story books and edit them on Story Bird:



I think that I could definitely use this tool in my classroom to make short stories for my students in English and Spanish. What I like the most about this app is that teachers can invite students to their “classes” on Story Bird (using a code provided by the app) so students are able to write their own stories and read each other’s stories as well. 

This app could also be very beneficial and motivating for my students because they would be able to create short books for an audience in and outside school. Besides using technology for educational purposes, an advantage is that students could work in groups and show their writing skills in a different and more entertaining way. It saves lots of time as we don’t need to search for our own pictures; we can use the ones provided in the app.

In my opinion, this tool could be used with middle and high school students and it might be challenging for the younger ones, because there a lot of steps involved in the design of a single book (planning, editing, publishing and revising). Regardless the level we teach, I think teachers would need to show students how this app works and guide them throughout the whole process, at least until they feel more comfortable with it.

This is the story book I designed for kindergarten students:


No comments:

Post a Comment

SUMMARY OF LEARNING

To show you a summary of my learning process, I created a Prezi presentation, which allowed me to show you different topics in an interact...